Thursday, February 13, 2014

Kid President and Caine's Arcade Encourage Students to be Problem Solvers


One of the recent mandates for Georgia school counselors is to provide and document career lessons for every grade level.  This means that we are all looking for ways to inspire students to begin thinking about the vast variety of careers that are available to them.  Especially in the elementary grades when almost every boy wants to play football for the NFL and every girl wants to be a veterinarian (I know I'm exaggerating a bit here...) I feel it's important to expand their awareness of the possibilities for careers that exist now and in the future.  Thanks to technology and the new global communication, careers are changing at a fast pace.  Who knows what will be the newest and most exciting careers, ten or fifteen years from now?  As a school counselor, I feel my job is get students to think creatively and consider multiple options.  Here are a few ways to do that.

Kid President is a hoot and kids will love this invitation to be an inventor.  His upbeat encouraging attitude is terrific. 






Another inspiring kid is Caine from the YouTube video, Caine's Arcade.  I always emphasize the limitless possibilities of creating a business when I show this one:




I've also discovered a couple of  books that I enjoy reading for career lessons. 
Iggy Peck Architect and Rosie Revere, Engineer, both by Andrea Beaty, are  delightful and humorous.  They help children understand two careers that they are not usually very familiar with. Inspiring students to think about their future and the careers that might be out there is always a fun and creative guidance lesson!

Want to get ideas for ways to encourage and empower children to be terrific problem solvers?  Join my email list and get weekly ideas including books and strategies for a variety of topics including self esteem and sibling rivalry.  Sign Up Here



No comments:

Post a Comment