Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Gift Giving For Children

Christmas is almost upon us and as usual there is a lot of discussion about gifts.  A big dilemma for me when my children were little was what to get them and how much to get them.  The lists they gave me seemed endless and didn't really help because they changed continually, depending on the current toy being advertised on television.  Just when I thought I had a plan, the number one gift suddenly plummeted to number twenty and something new was number one.  I was frustrated and concerned.  What's a parent to do?

I recently read a blog where the writer suggested that parents buy each child three gifts:  one gift that the child wants, one that they need and one that is a surprise.  Ever the one to need a plan and a list, I found this suggestion to be outstanding.  It seems to cover all the possibilities.  It has an element of fun, an element of practicality and it also gives the child a choice but forces some prioritizing of items.  I wish I had known this years ago.  If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment