The best way to encourage children to resolve conflicts is to encourage them to follow a few basic steps of conflict resolution.
- Listen to the other person's side of the story
- Share their side of the story
- Suggest ways to resolve differences
- Reach an agreement on future behavior
- Develop a plan for the future
In the second edition of the book I have supplemented the story with a lesson plan for counselors who use the book in classroom guidance, a worksheet, instructions for making puppy dog ears and sample vignettes for students to practice using the "I statement" to solve friendship problems. You can check out the book or purchase it here on Amazon.
Let me know what you think about the book! I'd love for you to leave a review on the Amazon site. Like this post? Please share it with your friends on facebook and twitter!